Wanderlust -- Yet Another Message Interface on Emacsen --
Last modified: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:13:47 JST
Go to japanese page
Newest version is
Wanderlust is a mail/news reader supporting IMAP4rev1 for emacsen.
Table Of Contents
For those who read emails on multiple client machines such as desktop
computer at home, a workstation at office, and a notebook computer
while traveling, it is hard to share emails once they download emails
to the client machine. For example, if you download emails to your
desktop computer at home, you cannot read those emails on a
workstation at office.
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) provides a smart solution for
this problem. It permits a client email program to access to emails on
the shared mail server.
The goal of Wanderlust, a mail and news client program on Emacsen,
is to manage messages effectively by use of the IMAP.
The main features of Wanderlust are following.
Here are some screen shots.
You can get current version from
ftp.gohome.org (primary site)
- Implementation in elisp only (not true in recent version).
- Support of IMAP4rev1, NNTP, POP(POP3/APOP), MH, Shimun,...you name it.
- Integrated access to messages based on original folder specification.
- Key bindings and mark processing like Mew.
- Interactive threading.
- Management of unread messages.
- Marks are fully customizable.
- Folder mode to manage subscribed folders.
- Message cache, Disconnected Operation.
- MH-like FCC (FCC: %Backup is possible).
- Support of MIME (by SEMI).
- Draft editing of mail and news as a same interface.
- Icon based interface for the list of Folder.
- Keep large message parts unfetched on IMAP4.
- Server side search (IMAP4), also Japanese support.
- Virtual folder that can treat multiple folders as one folder.
- Filter folder (aka. Search folder).
- Compression Folder.
- Automatic expiration of old messages.
- Auto refile.
- Message Template.
- Scoring: automatically mark or hide messages by measuring importance.
- Fully customizable summary view.
- Integration of namazu.
- Integration of ACAP.
- Integration of LDAP.
- Spam filter which supports multiple spam-filtering method.
Development of Wanderlust uses CVS. So latest developing version is
available at CVS.
cvs login (first time only)
% cvs -d :pserver:email@example.com:/cvs/root login
CVS password: [CR] # NULL string
% cvs -d :pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs/root checkout wanderlust
If you would like to join CVS based development, please send mail to
with your account name and your public key for ssh. cvsroot is
If you cannot use ssh, please send UNIX /etc/passwd style crypted
password. you can commit with the cvsroot
We hope you will join the open development.
You can access CVS via following http site.
You can download snapshots of CVS via following http site.
( by hand:Special thanks to <email@example.com>)
( on the fly)
See Wanderlust Manual to get more details.
See INSTALL file in the package to get information about installation.
Sample setting files:
Please check FAQ before send questions to the mailing list.
(The page is written by Wiki. You can add/edit the page.)
AIR MAIL server
Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5
Sun Internet Mail Server 4.0
Mule for Win32
Meadow-1.01 or later
NTEmacs 20.4 or later
Emacs 20.3 or later
XEmacs-20.4 or later
Before installing Wanderlust, please install the MIME module called
SEMI. Version 1.14.3 or
later is required.
You need packages named APEL and FLIM to use SEMI.Recommended combination of APEL, FLIM and SEMI are following.
You can also use many other FLIM/SEMI variants.
Combination of the latest versions should work.
We hope you report to the mailing list in following case:
- If you found bug.
- If you made patch.
(Special thanks to Takuro KITAME <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
If you know other wanderlust related page, please
let us know.